- Nativism and Economic Integration: Trends on a Collision Course in the Developing World, with Bethany Lacina. Under review. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge Elements: Political Economy series, ed. David Stasavage.
- “Local Embeddedness and Bureaucratic Performance: Evidence from India,” with Alexander Lee. Journal of Politics, forthcoming.
- “The Effects of Malapportionment on Cabinet Inclusion: Subnational Evidence from India.” British Journal of Political Science, forthcoming.
- “Do the Effects of Temporary Ethnic Group Quotas Persist? Evidence from India.” American Economic Journal: Applied Economics 9(3): 105-123, 2017.
- “Fiscal Federalism at Work? Central Responses to Internal Migration in India,” with Bethany Lacina. World Development 93: 236-248, 2017.
- “The Effects of Weather-Induced Migration on Sons of the Soil Violence in India,” with Bethany Lacina, World Politics 67(4): 760-794, 2015.
- “Ancillary Studies of Experiments: Opportunities and Challenges,“ with Kate Baldwin, Journal of Globalization and Development 6(1): 113-146, 2015.
- “Response to Roodman: “A Replication of ‘Counting Chickens When They Hatch’”“, with Samuel Bazzi, Public Finance Review, 43(2): 282–286, 2015.
- “Gandhi’s Gift: Lessons for peaceful reform from India’s struggle for democracy,“ with Saumitra Jha, The Economics of Peace and Security Journal, 9(1): 76-88, 2014.
- “Counting Chickens When They Hatch: Timing and the Effects of Aid on Growth,” with Samuel Bazzi, Michael Clemens and Steven Radelet, The Economic Journal, 122(561): 590-617, 2012.
- Winner of the Royal Economic Society prize for the best paper published in The Economic Journal in 2012.
- A previous version of this paper was referenced in a Washington Post editorial.
- “Do Electoral Quotas Work After They Are Withdrawn? Evidence from a Natural Experiment in India,” American Political Science Review 103(1): 23-35, 2009. *
- “Socio-economic Profiles of India’s Old Electoral Constituencies, 1971-2001,“ with Francesca Jensenius. In Fixing Electoral Boundaries in India: Laws, Processes, Outcomes and Implications for Political Representation, ed. M. S. Alam and K. C. Sivaramakrishnan, 2015 (New Delhi: Oxford University Press).
- “Secondary Analyses of Experiments: Opportunities and Challenges,” with Kate Baldwin, APSA-Comparative Democratization Newsletter, October 2011.
- “Aid and Growth: The Current Debate and Some New Evidence,” with Steven Radelet and Michael Clemens in The Macroeconomic Management of Foreign Aid edited by Peter Isard and others, 2006 (Washington, DC: International Monetary Fund).
- “Aid and Growth,” with Michael Clemens and Steven Radelet, Finance and Development 42 (3), September 2005. Reprinted in Annual Editions: Developing World 07/08, edited by Robert J. Griffiths, November 2006 (Columbus, OH: McGraw-Hill).
- “Can Government-Controlled Media Cause Social Change? Television and Fertility in India,“ with Gareth Nellis.
- “Voting for Development? Ruling Coalitions and Literacy in India,“ with Francesca Jensenius.
- “Emigration, Remittances and the Political Economy of Development: Insights Using New Methods and Data from Kerala,” with Maggie Peters.
- “The Effects of Malapportionment on Economic Development: Evidence from India’s 2008 Redistricting.”
- “Oil Windfalls and the Political Resource Curse: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Brazil,“ with Noam Lupu.
- “Forging a Non-Violent Mass Movement: Economic Shocks and Organizational Innovations in India’s Struggle for Democracy,” with Saumitra Jha.
- “A Primer on Discrimination Against India’s Lower Caste Politicians: Evidence from Natural and Survey Experiments.”
- “Using Asset Disclosures to Study Politicians’ Rents: An Application to India.”
- Referenced in the Times of India.
“Political Obstacles to Domestic Trade: Evidence from India,” with Bethany Lacina.
“The Downstream Effects of Affirmative Action in a Bureaucracy: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in India,” with Alexander Lee.
“Can Elite Messages Help Empower Women? Evidence from a Field Experiment in North India,” with Gareth Nellis.
“The Electoral Impact of Monetary Shocks: Evidence from India’s 2016 Demonetization,” with Mark Copelovitch.
- “A Microeconomic View of the Evolution of Poverty and Inequality in Ghana, 1967-1997,” with Markus Goldstein.
- “The Missing Globalization Puzzle,” with Arvind Subramanian, Natalia Tamirisa, and David Coe, International Monetary Fund Working Paper WP/02/171, October 2002.